Why Hard Candy is Bad for Your Teeth

Everyone has a sweet tooth now and again, and it is perfectly fine to indulge in that craving periodically. However, regular consumption of candy and sweet treats may lead to oral health problems, up to and including tooth extraction charleston. Hard candy is especially devastating to the teeth.

Peppermints, butterscotch candy, suckers, and other hard candies are the worst candy that a person can eat. The sticky sweet sticks to the enamel of the teeth and even with brushing, is sometimes difficult to remove. This leads to damage to the tooth and the enamel of the tooth. The high concentration of sugar found inside hard candy is what makes them so dangerous to eat.

tooth extraction charleston

Not only is the candy loaded in sugar, the sugar sits on the teeth longer while it is absorbed in the mouth. Sugar doesn’t cause cavities. Instead, it feeds bacteria that cause cavities. The bacteria produce acid that eats away at the tooth enamel. The more candy that you eat, the worse the bacteria and the acid becomes. Over time, expect tooth loss.

Believe it or not, chocolate is a far better option than hard candy when you want to satisfy a sweet tooth. It rinses off the teeth easily and does not sit on the teeth as long as hard candies. Bit, even chocolate should be consumed in moderation because it will damage the teeth due to the sugar content.

When you do give in and indulge in a sweet treat, drink a glass of water immediately after. This will help flush out any sugars that linger behind from the candy. You may also opt to eat the candy after dinner which can help fight acid due to the salvia in your mouth.